This has been one of those days when some things just don’t work out, and others work out in a way you don’t expect. I’ve been wanting to set up a website where I can sell my books and stories directly. I know I can do that on WordPress, but I thought I’d have more flexibility with a site of my own, and one more place to put my name and the book titles certainly couldn’t be a bad idea. But I don’t have the patience to build a site, and at this point I can’t afford hosting, so I tried out a freebie that was recommended pretty highly. Complete disaster. I couldn’t figure out half the stuff on the site, and I wound up clicking on pages that weren’t part of the sitebuilder itself, but advertising. It seemed every time I turned around, there was either a full page ad in all its raucous color, or a blinking ad that drove me crazy until I could find somewhere to go to get away from it.
So, back to WordPress. I know how to use it, and I haven’t really been taking full advantage of it. I paid for my domain name on Dark Boundaries, so maybe something is asking me what’s the point if I’m going to go wandering off to some other site. I guess that means it’s time to get to work.
And then there’s the cover for Within the Silence. The freebie graphics programs that I’ve been using just won’t let me do what I want, and GIMP — yes, it keeps popping up its ugly head — is too frightening to try to use without a good bit of reading first. So I’ve been experimenting with Apple’s Pages and Keynote. I can’t save anything I do with them because my 30-day trial expired, but I can still try this, that and the other. The “other” being a graphic that I needed to crop into an oval. Like this:
It took a bit of figuring out, but it finally worked. Could have read the manual first, but what the heck. The end of this long story is that I worked out a cover design and saved it, in spite of the program’s expiration. Clever me, I have a screen capture program that works very nicely. I’m going to do another version because it needs some tweaking. I haven’t finished editing the story yet, but the problem of getting a decent cover was really bugging me. So that problem is solved.
The only thing I did today that worked out exactly as it was supposed to was uploading Crossing Boundaries, the sequel to Hidden Boundaries, to Kindle.
And I decided that I’ll buy Keynote for working out future book covers. This isn’t my idea, but a spinoff of a spinoff. A couple of people have written about using PowerPoint to create covers, and this led to a very useful blog post that I found today about doing exactly that. Create Your Own Ebook Cover, Step by Step, With Pictures. He’s using PowerPoint, but his instructions can help guide someone who’s using one of the Apple apps.