Working with Keynote requires a lot of experimenting and thinking through problems. The major one that I discovered right off was that Keynote templates are in landscape orientation because they’re intended to become slides, while book covers are in portrait orientation. When I used nearly the entire width of the template, this turned into this when I altered it to book cover dimensions.
But I finally figured out how to get around it and came up with this.
The spacing needs tweaking, so I’ll be doing it again, but I (very thankfully) proved that I hadn’t just wasted $20.00 for something that wasn’t going to work the way I hoped it would.