I planned to compile Camp Expendable as a .mobi and send it to my Kindle for a readthrough that I couldn’t tinker with. Good idea, but it didn’t happen. I’ve never downloaded Amazon’s KindleGen, which Scrivener requires for that conversion, so I did that this morning, thinking I was on the verge of getting down to work. No such luck. One look at the instructions for installing it and I backed off as if I’d just put my hand down on a hot stove. I’ll get it done eventually, when I’m not in a headachey, brain-fogged state, and the instruction don’t look like gibberish.
Not all is lost, of course. I converted the book to a PDF, so I can still read it as a book. I wanted to be able to sit in my comfy chair, away from the computer, but it looks like that won’t be possible. The Kindle will supposedly read PDFs, so I sent it — twice — and nothing happened. It showed it downloading, but it’s nowhere to be seen. and the number of items on the Kindle hasn’t changed. Curses!
It finally showed up, but only after I checked to archive it. In normal portrait reading mode, it’s too small for me to read comfortably, and PDFs don’t allow you to enlarge the font. If I change it to landscape mode, the font is more readable, but less than half a page shows at a time.
So I’m in for a long spell of either reading a novel on my computer, which I’ve mostly been able to avoid since getting the Kindle, or tapping a zillion page turns.
The actual useability of my Kindle has severely deteriorated since the last software update, and that’s been typical of Amazon ever since I started reading ebooks. The way it handles PDFs doesn’t make me any happier about it.