- A new US president places the country on a wartime footing as allies fall away. Without enough volunteer military, he reinstitutes the draft.
- The EPA becomes an arm of the corporations that produce pesticides and the chemicals added to food.
- The Department of Homeland Security is expanded to oversee the media, and censor anything it judges dangerous to the nation.
- Torture and imprisonment without trial are expanded to include US citizens.
- The temporary slowdown in militarization of police is set aside, with heavy-duty weaponry and and transport once again being made available, and to a wider range of local police units.
- Controls on the use of pesticides are loosened. With the loss of most pollinating bees, food shortages become the norm, and prices climb skyward.
- Measures to protect coastal areas from sea rise are either never funded or fail in the face of increasing storms, tsunamis, etc. Climage refugees become a divisive political issue.
All this comes out of recent news reports, just slightly extended into the near future. I wrote the above about a month ago, and what do you know? — saw an article today that #5 may very well be real when the Trumpf takes office.
Somebody remind me, please, that I want to write a post, fairly soon, about what I’m calling “creeping dystopia.”